Wave Organ

83 Marina Green Drive, San Francisco, CA, United States

• Wave OrganCommunity ManagerAmbassadorPro 2014
    Keane
    5 Feb 24, 2014

Sheer hope is what leads me to give the Wave Organ five stars. That, and it's free.

Wander out into the Bay from Marina Green Park and you'll find this artist-made installation made in partnership with our beloved Exploratorium. Waves crash into the Organ, creating music that I have yet to hear. Even on my second visit, I was not lucky enough to hear the supposed nature-inspired concerto.

Next time.

• Wave OrganPro 2014
    May W
    4 Dec 03, 2012

I love free local attractions! Especially when they make me squeal with excitement! I acted like a big kid when I came to check out the famous SF Wave Organ. I had heard that the organ was built using old grave markers from an old SF cemetery and I definitely made a point to check out the stones when I went to the Wave Organ in the Marina. And yup, they indeed look like leftover markers from a long time ago.

The organ consists of seemingly randomly placed curved pipes that hum and gurgle as the waves crash towards the structure. I got a little jumpy a few times, but felt like a chicken when I saw about 5 kids actually purposely get hit by the huge waves. It made me worry for a split second because the rocks are somewhat slippery and the waves strong. What if they get swept away? Oh well, I should stop being so morbid!

Free parking on Yacht Road! Don't park in the second lot that is closer to the club house because I saw how crazy some of the waves were. They came up over the wall and flooded the parking lot. I was wondering why no one parked in that lot and when I saw the tall waves, I knew why.

• Wave Organ
    Ken Drori
    3 Feb 15, 2011

Constructed almost entirely of stone, the Wave Organ channels the music of the ocean, merges it with sounds gathered from land and then amplifies the harmony through acoustic technology. A jetty near San Francisco’s Exploratorium houses this product born of a collaboration between artist Peter Richards and sculptor George Gonzales. Stones used in the construction originated from a cemetery dating from Gold Rush times. The construction features a series of pipes that mimic the appearance and function of a church organ. The climax of this natural symphony occurs at dawn, as high tide approaches. Sidle up to one of the listening stations to awaken with nature and revel in the sacred, hypnotic auditory fusion of land and sea.

126 people visited Wave Organ