Wurstküche Restaurant

800 East 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013

BuzzFeed
    5 Jul 18, 2014

This downtown “exotic sausage grill” features more than 20 varieties of sausage, served with a great array of dipping sauces to match. But the unusual meats are the real draw: Rattlesnake and rabbit with jalapeños, anyone? Great!

Erika World
    5 Jun 21, 2014

I love this place but honestly parking is SUCH a pain any night during the weekend. I recommend reserving a parking spot in advance here: http://www.parkme.com/los-angeles-cl-parking/wurstkuche-restaurant. Other than that, the food and beer selection is worth visiting. There's even a really cute outdoor patio for extra seating.

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Bailey Ward
    5 May 30, 2014

Delicious sausages and beer, even for vegetarians!! I was very impressed by the quality of the vegetarian options! The beer list is very extensive, with something for everyone. Servers were knowledgable and able to help people choose a unique beer they liked.

Recommended for:VegetarianStudentsTrendstersFoodies
    Angry LA Artist
    1 Feb 20, 2014

"Over rated and over cooked."

Wurstkuche is nothing more than Mediocre Dry Sausage at Double the Price.
    Wurstkuche Restaurant is the most over rated, crank it out sausage factory in Los Angeles and not worth the long wait in a line they purposely create to attract attention. Fab Hot Dogs, Pinks Hot Dogs, or Vicious Dogs all have sausage as well as hot dogs and they all actually know how to cook it properly. And that doesn't mean char it from raw to a shriveled wiener on a grill, then hide it's size with the limited selection of toppings offered by Wurstkuche. And despite the array of so called "exotic" sausages", they all tend to taste the same when they are dry and over cooked.

Wurstkuche is just like any mediocre hamburger joint. The guy behind the grill is usually some hired hand that is shown how to sling a dog on the grill. And Wurshkuche's owner Joseph Pitruzzelli may be Italian, but I don't think he's an actual Italian chef and I seriously doubt you'll find him behind the grill at Wurstkuche, except maybe for a photo opt. Fab Hot Dogs' Joe Fabrocini is a class "A" Italian chef at Fabrocini's, (fabrocinibeverlyglen.com) his family's Restaurant for decades before going on his own and opening Fab Hot Dogs. Now Joe knows how to cook a sausage and so does any chef he hires. Wurskuche just hire a hot dog slinger and you pay double the price.

Compare Wurstkuche spicy sausage to Fab Hot Dogs "Firecracker" . My favorite because it's spicy as hell, and compare it to anything Wurstkuche has on it's menu. Plump and juicy even if you want it grilled. And there are so many toppings and combinations to choose from on the menu already. And you can always swap a Hot Dog for a sausage with any of them.

Wurstkuche has 4 toppings and few types of mustered and that's it! Onions, sweet or spicy peppers and sauerkraut and if you want more then 2, you have to pay more! And if you look at the picture above that was already on line, you can see that the toppings overwhelm the sausage because the sausage is over cooked to a shrivel and smaller then the bun! At Pinks, the sausage is bigger then the bun and sticking out both sides and it's plump and juicy.

Now let's talk price for that shriveled little Wurstkuche wiener. Wurstkuche is at least 50% more then any other sausage place. Fab Hot Dogs charges 3.95 for the Firecracker and 2.25 for their incredible garlic fries and 1.95 for regular. Pinks charges 450. for their spicy sausage with everything on it and 2.65 for fries. Wurstkuche charges 6.50 for a Louisiana hot link with 2 toppings and then 3.50 for their small order of fries. A large order of fries is 5.50 at Wurstkuche! That's why Wurstkuche reportedly made 3 million their first year.

"Overprice it and they will come". WurstkucheSucks.com

Billy
    1 Jan 09, 2014

My guest was in the mood for hot dogs.
    I suggested this place based on a quick search for hot dogs.

Neighborhood is pretty sketchy. Walked by large trash bin that smelled foul.
    The sidewalk was sticky. Yucky. Mental note: wash kicks when I get home.
    There is a security guy; Or, was it just some big guy with a black jacket just loitering outside by the corner. Creepy.

We accidentally went in the wrong door. When I saw the map, it shown corner of 3rd and Traction Ave. The address reads 3rd street.
    We walked right by it. Poor signage. I wish it was more visible.
    Is that part of the charm?

Pro- tip: But the line for the ordering area is on Traction.
    If you come in the wrong door later in the day, the eating area is very dimly lit.
    Again, is that part of the charm?

The aisle are not very wide table length-wise. Only one person can walk comfortably.

Hard to tell who works there or not. But after seeing a guy bus a table, I ask him where do I go to order food, based on reading the reviews.
    He tells me to go down the hallway to the counter.
    I make my way to the counter. Yes, it is well lit. Hmmm.
    The line snakes along the triangular spaced entrance and out into the nighttime cold. They have staff working the line.
    They herd us like cattle with these commands:
    Stand along the wall. Move over. Squeeze together. Would you like a drink?
    Our credit card machine is working slowly.
    We are out of Hot Italian and Louisiana Hot Link ( I think).

I am not sure how to interpret slowly working. Is it sick? Still recovering from NYE?
    They of course accept cash. Cash is king. Or so they say. Idioms.

They were offering samples of the Austin Blues to compensate for our extra long wait time and for the slowly working credit card machine.

After 15-20 mins, we finally reach the front of the line.
    We order two dogs, Austin Blues with onions and sweet peppers.
    I wanted the Hot Italian but had to settle with Brockworst.
    Based on the counter, they had tons of sausages. Is Hot Italian that popular?

We grab a table. My guest did not want to partake in the communal table space.
    We sit in the dark waiting/hoping that the server can see our number.

Finally, someone brings our food. Yeah.
    I grab some of the fries. Hoping to enjoy the Bleu Cheese Walnut & Bacon
    that everyone seems to rave about. Yuck my fries are semi-warm.

I spend some time trying to locate someone to flag down.
    After a bit, I decide to walk back to the counter.
    As I approach, I ask a guy if he works here. Yes, he replies.
    I mention that my fries were luke-warm. Nothing. Just a blank stare.
    Hmmm. Now annoyed, I ask for 2 to-go containers.
    He grabs some stuff, turns around, and hands it to me.

I walk down that long dark hallway back to the dining area.
    I am thinking what a waste. Where is the customer service?
    I noticed on how they had fries just sitting next to the fryer. No wonder they were luke-warm. I guess that they can mess up a simple thing like fries.

They could have easily replaced my fries and made me a happy camper.
    Mess with my starch? My fries? Honestly, that was my main reason for coming.
    I wanted to taste their Belgium fries with their sauces. But alas, this was not meant to be.
    Maybe I should have gone to their Venice location.
    Maybe they were so focused on their credit card machine not working.

Tainted view of this place? Maybe. Slightly. Okay, yes.
    This review was written when I got back. So definitely.

Overall, hard to locate. They blew simple customer service 101.
    I would not recommend this place due to the bitter taste of lack of service.

Will my review affect their business, probably not.
    Will it affect me spending anymore money at this place, yes.

I am tossing and turning in my bed as I lust for fries.

Ryan Fung
    5 Jan 03, 2014

Best place to get exquisite, exotic sausages in Downtown L.A. Selections include rabbit, rattlesnake, veal, etc.

Hanae
    4 Dec 28, 2013

Their gourmet hot dogs are overrated but they are tasty :) i need to come back and try their regular hot dogs.

What I recommend:
    -fries!!! And their sauces!!!!! Get a medium and share it with a friend.
    - cucumber soda: light and refreshing. It goes well with the heavy greasy fries.
    - apple beer if u like sweet alcohol like me
    - if u love beer then this place won't disappoint you

Dont bother leaving room for dessert. It's not worth the price.

Recommended for:Budget TravelersFoodiesStudentsTrendsters
    Nina Harada
    4 Dec 31, 2013

If you're craving sausage or beer or both this is the place to go! The downtown location is perfect for hanging out with a group of friends at one of the long picnic style tables. But go early because this place fills up fast. The space is super sleek with wood beams and exposed bricks, the perfect downtown vibe. And the sausages, which come in different flavors, are delish!

Recommended for:Art & Design LoversFoodies
    travel33
    4 Dec 26, 2013

Great food and beers! This is ideal to take dad's, brother's and significant others...they will love it. I usually get the Louisiana Hot Links but they have some funky sausages like snake and rabbit. I stick to the regular chicken, beef or pork sausages. Their french fries are the belgium style, very good and you get a few dipping sauces.

It is located at the art district in downtown LA, just a 2 blocks from Little Tokyo.

The place is usually crowded, I went for lunch on a Sunday and it wasn't as busy as nighttime. We easily got a place to sit (you seat yourself). Great place to try!

Lisa
    5 Jul 28, 2013

An amazing place for beers on tap and for a great German Sausage. The sausages come in rabbit, snake or good old turkey. =]

Yulree Chun "@GogobotLA"
    3 Dec 29, 2013

Wurstkuche was one of the first places that had gourmet house-made sausages, which permanently put them on the foodie map. They do provide solid food (albeit a bit pricey) and they do have awesome family-style picnic tables, but I still think it's a bit over-hyped. They use meats like snake and rabbit, but honestly, you can't really taste the difference when ground up, heavily salted, stuffed into a casing and eaten with a hot dog bun.

Jordan Ryan
    5 Dec 28, 2013

Awesome menu selection of different sausages and German beer. Great ambience and group eating layout. Definitely going to recommend to friends.

Traci
    5 Apr 08, 2013

The name literally translates to "Sausage Kitchen" and the food here is great. You can choose from your standard bratwursts or if you're feeling more adventurous you can try things like the rattlesnake sausage. They also have great beers on tap (as any self respecting German-inspired restaurant should!) Even the veggie sausages are great -- the vegetarians I ate with once even bought some to take home!

They also cater private events!

Recommended for:Vegetarian
    Mary Q.
    5 Jan 03, 2014

At first glance, you might dismiss this place as some warehouse. Then you notice the line snaking out the door and that makes you wonder. If you're curious enough to try it out, you'll be delighted by the selection of sausages, ranging from typical bratwursts to ones with alligator or buffalo. The topping choices they offer are simple, but boy are there a lot of mustards to choose from!

I love the Filipino Maharlika, with its hint of sweetness. Also totally obsessed with the sauerkraut topping and I get a double serving of that each time. Their fries are good too (and I usually don't like fries) and even better are all the sauces you can dip them in. Yum!

Follow the long dark hallway to the back and it opens up to a giant cafeteria-style room with long benches. They also have a bar and a DJ back there, to keep you entertained. On a nice night you can opt to sit outside on the patio area and when you're ready to leave, why not stroll over to Little Tokyo and check that out?

Josh Moody-Arndt
    5 Feb 12, 2013

Awesome sausage place. So many different options from typical bratwurst to exotic things like alligator. I tried rattle snack and rabbit. Yeah it sounds weird and yeah it's good. They also have a few vegetarian options.

Haven't tested the beers, but they have 24 on tap.

Recommended for:Vegetarian
    Jin Yoo-Kim
    5 Dec 06, 2012

i love this sausage kitchen. you can't go wrong with the duck and bacon with sweet or hot peppers and a side of belgian fries with TRUFFLE OIL and a few steins of beer.

Looooo!
    5 Dec 05, 2012

It's become my families Sunday Funday tradition to come her, the workers are awesome and social which is rare in downtown la, also the atmosphere is very warm and inviting with the "family style" seating!
    I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to have a good time whether it's in the afternoon or night.
    The bar is great, the German beer they carry is the absolute best.
    If you're with a bunch of friends drinking and having a good time, I recommend the Reissdorf Kolsch Wheel, you'll have a lot of fun with that, and use your imagination!!
    Best sausage, beer and vegan fries in all of Los Angeles!

Melinda Hsieh
    4 Nov 20, 2012

Truffle fries is a must here. Do not leave the restaurant without ordering it. The sausage selection was so huge that it was quite overwhelming but in the end, everyone was beyond satisfied with all their choices.

Sharon F
    3 Nov 02, 2012

overpriced hipster sausage. if you like your sausage with a side of beard and skinny jeans, this is your place. now, the food is actually pretty good, just pricy. they do have redbridge (gluten free) beer!

Yvette T.
    3 Oct 03, 2012

Fun place to grab a beer with your friends. Just don't expect to be blown away by the sausages.

Walk into Wurstküche, and it's like you're suddenly transported to the Lower East Side--hipster heaven. It's great for people watching while waiting in the inevitable line that snakes out the door.

The sausages that we tried were a-ok, but lacked a bit of juiciness. I liked the thickness of the fries, but thought the white truffle oil glaze made it a little too oily for my taste. As for the dips, go with the Bleu Cheese Walnut and Bacon. I never eat blue cheese but the dip was delicious! The Chipotle Aioli comes a close second. And while I love Tzatziki, it didn't go well with the fries.

What deserves writing home about is their beer. They have an awesome selection of Belgian and German beers, several of which you can get in a liter sized mug. I should be embarrassed to admit that I needed both hands to hold up that big boy (http://www.yelp.com/biz_…)! Wait to buy your beer at the bar, where they offer you samples before you purchase.

I definitely wouldn't mind coming back, but it would be more about the company than the food.

5,528 people visited Wurstküche Restaurant

Moderate$$

Mon-Sun 11am-12am (Kitchen) 11am-2am (Bar)

Belgian fries with dipping sauces, imported biers on draught, and, of course, sausages are the greasy-yet-yummy draw at this LA establishment.

Kyoto Grand Hotel and Gardens