Trip Plan Details
- Limekiln State ParkBig Sur, CArecommended Limekiln State ParkAmazing state park. There are some amazing hikes through giant redwoods, over gurgling creeks to a beautiful waterfall. You can camp here - though the layout is a bit odd, with a lot of the sites on ... read morethe main hiking trail which gets a lot of hikers during the day. Good thing is they have running water and showers (bring quarters) here. The beach here is uninspiring, especially given the amazing options nearby (see Pfeiffer Burns or San Dollar).
- Sand Dollar Beach and Picnic AreaCalifornia 1, Big Sur, CArecommended Sand Dollar Beach and Picnic AreaBeautiful beach area about an hour south of Big Sur on Highway 1. Parking for Day Use is $8, but you can park for free outside the park and walk in. There is a trail down from the beach about 100 m ... read morepast the parking lot.
- Lucia Lodge62400 Hwy 1, Big Sur, CA 93920recommended Lucia LodgeGreat small restaurant on the ocean side of rout 1. They are known for their fish and chips and have great view on the ocean when you get (or ask) for a window table. In case you are traveling with ... read morekids they don't have a kids menu or anything that sounds like kids food.
- Kirk Creek CampgroundHwy 1, Big Sur, CArecommended Kirk Creek CampgroundThere are firepits here, and a great view from the bluff. I heard that the trial down to the ocean has recently eroded though. Watch out for poison oak everywhere here.
- Nepenthe48510 Highway 1, Big Sur, CA 93920
- Andrew Molera State ParkBig Sur Station #1, Big Sur, CA 93920recommended Andrew Molera State ParkOne of the quieter, often overlooked state park lands along the Big Sur coast, Andrew Molera is at the north end of things, not far from the lighthouse. Follow the mostly level hiking trails across ... read moreseasonal springs out to the wild beach, where you can look for whales in winter, hop across rocks and driftwood, or sometimes spot rare endangered California condors soaring overhead. There's a small educational center back near the parking lot where you can learn more about condor rehabilitation and bird-banding programs. Andrew Molera also has the only first-come, first-served state park campground along the Big Sur coast, and it fills up fast on weekends and holidays. It's also walk-in (not drive-in).
- Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park47225 California 1, Big Sur, California
- Ventana Inn & Spa48123 Highway One, Big Sur, CArecommended Ventana Inn & SpaRomantic hotel/spa with an amazing view of Big SurRecommended for:
- 17-Mile Drive17 Mile Drive, Pebble Beach, CA 93953