Activities on Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- Kalapana Cultural Tours (LAVA Boat & Hike)12 Kalapana Kapoho Beach Road, Pāhoa, HIrecommended Kalapana Cultural Tours (LAVA Boat & Hike)Recommended for:.Comment.23 days ago. ReportSelmita
By far the best choice for any sort of lava tour. These guys own the land and have lived with the volcano for generations. Suddenly all these companies moved in and started treading on their land showcasing the lava flowing over their own homes... these guys deserve the business and have the best customer service there is! They take guests to lava safely and give them the real Hawaiian experience. I've heard horror stories about the other groups--especially Lava Ocean, just look at their tripadvisor reviews! Scary!! Aloha and have fun! I even recently went on their whale and waterfall tour and that was stunning and once in a lifetime, even for a local!recommended Kalapana Cultural Tours (LAVA Boat & Hike)Want to see active FLOWING LAVA? Make reservations at www.kalapanaculturaltours.com and (808) 936-0456 -- Flowing molten lava guaranteed or your money back! Let this Native Hawaiian family owned and ... read moredown-to-earth company show you ALOHA and LAVA by BOAT or guide you on FOOT. PLUS enjoy one of the most talked about bars/music venues on the island, the headquarters of Kalapana Cultural Tours, Uncle's Awa Club -- bring your hiking shoes, boat slippers and dancing shoes for the Kalapana Wednesday Night Market..Comment.6 months ago. ReportKalapana Cultural Tours (LAVA Boat & Hike Tours)
Want to see active flowing lava? Kalapana Cultural Tours are the land owners where the LAVA flows and their hometown, Kalapana, is now buried by the volcanic eruption! Let these down to earth and professional guide you past their buried villiage and bring their Hawaiian Culture back to life! Make reservations at www.kalapanaculturaltours.com and (808) 936-0456 Flowing molten lava guaranteed or your money back! Let this Native Hawaiian family owned company show you ALOHA and LAVA by BOAT or guide you on FOOT.
commented on this trip
My buddy, who is a travel writer covering the Big Island, highly recommends Lava Ocean Adventures (www.lavaocean.com)..Comment.about 1 year ago. Report
- Ma'ukele Lodge 12-84 Ave Wawae Rd., Phoa, HI 96778recommended Ma'ukele LodgeMy husband and I stayed at the Ma'ukele Lodge for three days and absolutely loved it! Raven is a wonderful host - friendly, kind and caring. We met several of her friends (including a trained ... read morebotanist!) and the experience could not have been better. The idea of the outdoor bathroom takes some getting used to but in practice, it's wonderful - and totally private. The four post bed made for a very comfortable night's rest. Breakfast each day included Hawaiian coffee, juice, and half of a papaya filled with fruit salad and yogurt on the side. From the stove came an omelet, banana pancakes (my favorite!), and scrambled eggs with ham and cheese. I could have easily spent a whole day at the Ma'ukele Lodge, walking along the beach and watching geckos run around the lanai (veranda). The view is amazing! There's a great selection of books, music, and movies to borrow. We have recommended this place to everyone, friends and strangers alike. Would definitely stay there again!Recommended for:.Comment.about 1 year ago. Report
- Merriman's65-1227 Opelo Rd, Kamuela, HI 96743
- Two Ladies Kitchen274 Kilauea Ave, Hilo, HI 96720
- Volcano Winery35 Pi'i Mauna Drive, Volcano, HI 96785
- Papakolea Green Sand Beach, Hawaii, USAPapakolea, Hawaii USA
- Mauna Kea Visitor Information StationMauna Kea Access Road, Hilo, HI
- Roberts Hawaii747 Kaonawai Place, Kahului, HI 96732-2350recommended Roberts HawaiiWe took an all-day island tour that hit all the main attractions. The guide was great, and we were able to see some of the spots where we wanted to return.Recommended for:Basha Leah
We loved the Big Island and hope to return soon. We stayed in a timeshare in Kona, next to the Sheraton golf course. Got to play golf a couple of times, at a reduced rate from the timeshare, and it had amazing views of the ocean.
commented on this trip
Aloha! I also have a guide to my favorite restaurants all around Big Island. Here is a link to the guide: http://www.gogobot.com/linda-talarico-great-eats-around-the-big-isla.
recommended Waipio ValleyOne of the most amazingly magical places I've ever had the pleasure experiencing! It is a steep climb down but well worth the effort. Or if you would prefer there are shuttles that take you down to ... read morethe bottom and back up. But the intense walk down makes the bottom even more rewarding! There is also a look out point from the top but nothing compares to seeing wild horses up close and having a picnic lunch on the pristine beaches in this protected little Eden.
- Mahana BeachSouth Point, Island of Hawaiirecommended Mahana BeachWe have all different colors, white, gold, black, red, green and types of sand in Hawaii because of the volcano but the green sand beaches are my favorite! I took my brother to them when he came to ... read morevisit. We had a great time exploring the martian like landscape of the Southern most point of the USA.
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopter ToursHilo International Airportrecommended Blue Hawaiian Helicopter ToursTaking a helicopter tour of the active volcano of Kilauea was definitely the highlight of my trip to the Big Island--watching the lava flow from one of the world's most active volcanoes, flying past ... read moreblack sand beaches, lush rainforests, and dramatic waterfalls--I felt like I had stepped into the pages of a National Geographic magazine. Definitely a must see if you can swing it time- and budget-wise.
recommended Hawaii Volcanoes National ParkHome to two of the world's most active volcanoes, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is a dramatically beautiful location with a biodiversity rarely seen elsewhere--from the starkness of dried lava fields ... read moreto lush rainforests (and everything in between). It makes for a great day trip for just about everyone: scenic drives, short walks, and a wide range of hikes lead to the highlights of the park. Be sure to stop by the Visitors Center--lava flows change frequently and you definitely want to know where they are before before heading out into the park!Recommended for:Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Pu‘uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical ParkPu'Uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, Captain Cook, Hawaiirecommended Pu‘uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical ParkPu'uhonua is a sacred refuge turned national park; it's a place fugitives used to run to to avoid punishment or death. Inside there are several temples, carved statues, the ruins of a traditional ... read moreHawai'ian village and sacred grounds where over two dozen Hawai'ian chiefs are buried. It's an interesting place to spend a morning learning about Hawai'ian history while walking the trails that take you through the site. Afterwards, head next door to Two Step--a good place to snorkel in Honaunau Bay (BYO snorkel gear).
- Akaka Falls State ParkEnd of Route 220, Honomu, HI 96728recommended Akaka Falls State ParkThe Akaka Falls State Park is a hiking loop that ends with a grand view of Akaka Falls, a 422-ft. high waterfall. The cost is a mere $1 (avoid the $5 parking fee by leaving your car outside the park ... read moregates only a few feet away from the entrance). The hike offers plenty of lush plant life and smaller waterfalls as well.Keane
Loved it. So beautiful.
- Hilo Farmers MarketKamehameha Avenue and Mamo Street, Hilo, HI 96720recommended Hilo Farmers MarketThe Hilo Farmers Market is an unpretentious market with fresh local produce and great prices. I purchased nine papayas for only $2 (about as much as one arm could carry). Service was really friendly ... read moreand there are plenty of produce to buy. It's not very large, so I wouldn't imagine anyone spending longer than thirty minutes here if they already know what they want.Keane
My mom would buy papayas here and bring them back to Oahu on the plane. They are tasty and really, really cheap!
- Hilo Bay Cafe315 Makaala Street #109, Hilo, HI, United Statesrecommended Hilo Bay CafeHilo Bay Cafe is a really great restaurant with a casual vibe located in a strip mall in downtown Hilo. They use local ingredients, offer a diverse menu, and create pretty tropical cocktails and carry ... read morea selection of craft beers from Hawaii and abroad. We ordered the burger and the short ribs. The burger was slightly dry, though I ordered it medium-rare, which I suppose has to do with its leanness. The short ribs fell of their bones and were quite delicious. Service was friendly and I enjoyed the meal, however I did not like being seated in a table between two others with such close proximity. I really wish restaurants would stop doing that.Recommended for:FoodiesKeane
Really liked this restaurant!
- Ken's House of Pancakes1730 Kamehameha Ave, Hilo, HI 96720recommended Ken's House of PancakesAmazing portions, a diverse menu and great service make this 24-hour diner a favorite among locals and tourists alike. The macadamia nut pancakes (with coconut, lilikoi and guava syrups) and the ... read morePortuguese sausage omelet with kimchi are the way to go!Keane
Oh my God. This place is so good!
- Kona Diving Company74-5615 Luhia Street, Kailua-Kona, HI
commented on this trip
I haven't actually dove on the big island but I did call the company I use in Oahu and asked around in the diving community. The majority response is to use the Kona Diving Company. Apparently they are spectacular and you can be the first to review them on Gogobot! Please let them know that Kaimana divers (Waikiki Scuba) sent you!
- Mauna Kea State Recreation AreaSaddle Road (Highway 200), 35.1 miles west of downtown Hilo.recommended Mauna Kea State Recreation AreaIf you like stargazing, this is one of the best places on earth to do it. Its tough to get to (an hour plus on a curvy road from Hilo) but once you arrive, you are greeted by some pretty spectacular ... read morescenery. In my mind, a perfect date would be to come here and explore a little, then break out a picnic dinner and bottle of wine, and then lay on a blanket and watch the milky way appear.Recommended for:
- Big Island Divers74-5467 Kaiwi Street, Kailua-Kona, HI