Hi, I am planning for a trip to Taipei, Taiwan for about 7 nights. However I am intending to explore Taipei most of the time, leaving about 1 day to travel out of Taipei and staying 1 Night out of Taipei. Anyone has any suggestions on places to go visit/eat or even things to do?
Thanks a lot.
- Sun Moon Lake No. 5號, Míngshèng Street, Yuchi Township, Nantou County, Taiwanrecommended Sun Moon LakeThis is the most famous lake in Taiwan, and thus is heavily populated with tourists in the summer. You'll see nothing but tour busses around here, with each of the small docks peppered with people. ... read moreThere isn't a ton to do around here, but it is beautiful. You can take a boat tour that takes you around the lake and a couple docks where you can step off and sample some street food, and then eat at one of the many restaurants in the main town that all serve local specialties: fresh bamboo shoots, fresh veggies, mushrooms and fresh fish. you can taste the freshness in the vegetables. Carnivores take note: food here runs heavier on the vegetarian side, but there are some meat dishes served in the town.Traci
It's an easy ride on the high speed rail to this area, and you can book any tour bus to take you from the high speed rail station to the lake, and do a general tour of the area.
- Yangmingshan ParkNo. 1之20號, 竹子湖路, Beitou District, Taipei City, Taiwanrecommended Yangmingshan ParkYangminshan is one of my favorite parts of Taipei. It's really easy to get to via bus, and the scenery is stunning. If you like spas, the park has a ton of natural hot springs to enjoy while you're ... read morelooking around at the mountainous landscape. Bird watching, camping (in certain areas), and hiking are also popular activities up here. One word of warning: there is a lot of sulfur in the soil up here, so at times there can be a strange odor coming from the mountains. Still, it is absolutely beautiful and well worth the trip.
- Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐)No. 194, XìnYì Road, Taipei, Taipei County, Taiwan 220recommended Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐)I was fortunate enough to work down the street from this world-renowned dumpling house in Taipei one summer, and fortunate enough to be soon moving near one of the only Din Tai Fung in the U.S. Or ... read moremaybe I just plan my life around dumplings. Either way, there is no going back after eating here. Din Tai Fung specializes in soup dumplings, piping hot and packed with flavor. There is always a mess of people at the door, but through the shouting, waving of hands, and sharp elbow jabs lives a big enough restaurant to accommodate you in under 20 minutes. The red bean paste buns are to die for, but really, try anything and everything and you'll leave on a cloud.
- Dan Shui Riverside Cycle PathDan Shui, Tanshui Town 251 Taiwanrecommended Dan Shui Riverside Cycle PathDan Shui is like the Coney Island of Taiwan: there's a boardwalk, rides, arcade games, and tons of interesting street food (fish balls, anyone?). There are also a lot of really great temples around ... read morethe town, as well as open air markets. The bike path is a fun way to get there from Taipei. It's pretty much flat the entire way, has a lot of interesting scenery (like the misty swamps), and wide enough to share with fellow cyclists and joggers without getting too crowded.Erin K
This is a really fun side trip just outside of Taipei. Rent a bike and take the bike path to the seaside town of Dan Shui, where you can find a ton of great street food and unique temples.
recommended Maokong Gondola (貓空䌫車)This is a really interesting way to see Taipei. You get in one of the gondola lifts and it takes you across numerous stops to the mountain top. If you are afraid of heights, then this is not for you. ... read moreThe gondola goes quite high and even slants upwards when going past mountains. Once at the final stop at the top of the mountain, you can get off and enjoy some great mountain food and have some tea (traditional tea drinking which can take hours).
- Shilin Night MarketNo. 60號, JīHé Road, Shihlin District, Taipei City, Taiwan 111recommended Shilin Night MarketThis night market has it all. The fried baos, stinky tofu, fresh made mochi are just a few of my favorites. There's a stand that has everything duck: duck head, duck tongue, duck wings, etc. Kumkuat ... read moreis a big fruit in Taiwan, so you'll see a lot of kumkuat juice/smoothies too.
- Miniatures Museum of TaiwanNo. 96, Section 1, Jiànguó North Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, Taiwanrecommended Miniatures Museum of TaiwanA miniatures museum can sound kind of dull and boring, but the Miniatures Museum of Taiwan is surprisingly fun to visit. The museum was started by a wealthy Taiwanese couple who discovered miniatures ... read morein the Netherlands during one of their many travels. From then on, they started collecting miniatures as they traveled all over the world. Although the map of the museum looks like just a few small rooms, you can easily spend an hour or two taking in the amazing miniatures since each one doesn't take up that much space. Not bad for just $6 USD. The detail that is shown in each miniature is so awesome, from the complex sheet music on a piano to the little toys in the window of a toy store. Make sure to check out the miniature with the actual moving train set in a little boy's room and the miniature with the real working TV! From mansions that are the size of a small doll house to food smaller than a dime, there is bound to be something at the Miniatures Museum to wow everyone.
recommended HualienI'd call Hualien a resort town of sorts. It's laid back, far less densely populated than the other big cities, has wonderful food, beautiful beaches, and Taroko national park is only about an hour ... read moreaway. Travel to Hualien is simple - hop on a train from Taipei and you'll be there in about 3 hours.
- Taroko National Park (太魯閣國家公園)291, FUSHIH VILLAGE, SIOULIN TOWNSHIP 97253 HUALIEN COUNTY TAIWANrecommended Taroko National Park (太魯閣國家公園)It's a shame Taroko is on the east coast of Taiwan where travel is a little less convenient. The park is beautiful and majestic with its spectacular marble cliffs and canyons. Stay in Hualien and the ... read morepark is about an hour drive to the north, you could make it a day trip from Hualien.Kevin Cheng
Take the train from Taipei to Hualien and arrange for a tour of the National Park, you'll probably need at least half day for the park.
- Landis Taipei HotelNo.41 Min Chuan East Road,Section 2, Taipei 104, Taiwanrecommended Landis Taipei HotelA little bit of London's Savoy Hotel where you least expect it: downtown Taipei. Impeccable service, some gorgeous original features. Book a suite, wear a smoking jacket and serve cocktails at your ... read morein-room bar to complete the Noel Coward moment.
- Yehliu Park167-1 Gang East Road, Panchiao City 207 Taiwan
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall台灣台北市信義區仁愛路4段505號
- Jiu Fen142 Ji Shan Jie, Taipei City 101 Taiwan
- 101西門町 Ximending108台灣, 台北市萬華區漢中街101號
- National Palace MuseumNo.221, Sec. 2, Zhishan Rd., Shilin Dist., Taipei City 11143
- Taipei 101 (台北101)No.7, Sec. 5, Xinyi Rd., Xinyi Dist., Taipei City (台北市信義路5段7號) Taipei City 10461 Taiwan