Urubamba

The river and surrounding hillside scenery are beautiful but, aside from a few nice properties, Urubamba itself has little to offer. If I were to do my trip over again, I'd probably opt for simpler accommodations and stay in Ollantaytambo which is much more charming.

Cusco

This uniquely beautiful colonial city is a perfect place to dig in to Peruvian food, culture and history. Give yourself time to take a nap when you get here, and don't be intimidated by the coca tea -- both will help you avoid altitude sickness.

Pisac

Pisac was full of color and small town charm. The city was home to a popular outdoor market held every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday that we stopped at along our tour of the Sacred Valley. There were also Inca ruins and numerous agricultural terraces in the hills of Pisac from the Inca period that we were told were still used ...

Ollantaytambo

Inca archeological site close to Cuzco. Take the train from here to the town nearest to Machu Pichu.

Chinchero

Chinchero is a small town outside of Cusco and a popular spot for tourism in the Sacred Valley for its Inka ruins, textiles museum and outdoor market. This was actually our first stop on our tour of the Sacred Valley. Inka ruins: There was a large stone wall in the town and from a high point, I saw many agricultural ...

Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu is one of the most mystical places in the world - perched on top of a mountain in the remote, Andean jungles outside Cuzco, this place will take your breath away. I took the Inca trail - much more hardcore - but well worth the 3 days of high altitude and mud.

Aguas Calientes

This hots springs and riverside town is the perfect retreat after a trek on the Inca Trail or day in Machu Picchu.