Zankou Chicken

1296 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91106

• Zankou ChickenPro 2014
    Ed Lee
    4 Jun 17, 2014

Chicken Tarna Wrap with extra sides of garlic sauce son! That's how it's done. Whenever I'm in Pasadena, I have to hit this spot for it's delicious and affordable Lebanese fare.

The location is a large, no frills greasy spoon that's perfect for a casual lunch or carbo-loading before a night of drinking in Old Town Pasadena. There is a private lot in the back as well as street parking in the front. My only complaint is they're a Pepsi-only restaurant. Is Pepsi ok? I think we all know the answer to that.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal Culture
    King Kevin the VII
    2 Jun 08, 2013

True Fact: Shawarma sales went up after the release of the Avengers movie

The restaurant looked like any fast food joint. So here is what we ordered:
    Falafel- Overly salty and dry
    Tritip shawrma- Bland
    Roasted chicken- Very dry, almost inedible
    Narn chicken- The only edible one in my opinion

The food was edible and reasonably priced. However, the quality is pretty subpar. I recommend going to another place for your shawarma. AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

Marcus Lo
    4 May 23, 2013

My opinion of Zankou has flipped back and forth. When I first came here years ago, I was a fan. Strangely, with each visit, food quality seemed to go down. On top of that, the ladies that had worked there weren't very friendly. I stopped coming here for a couple years but wandered back here recently. I was surprised to find that the food quality appears to have improved again and the new staff is friendly! I've been back a couple more times and I think order has been restored.

FOOD:
    Chicken Tarna plate - The chicken is sliced from a rotating spit. Usually pretty good but I think a few times I've gotten dry cuts.

Tri Tip Shawerma plate - The beef is sliced from a rotating spit. Same as the chicken, if you aren't lucky you can sometimes get cuts that are a bit dry. It is usually pretty good though.

Half Chicken Plate - Juicy, tasty chicken.

Pitas - I believe these are just store bought, prepackaged kind.

Sides - if you are like me and hate the purple pickles, just ask them to replace them with tomatoes.

SERVICE: used to suck but as of March 2013, it is good.

PARKING: They have their own parking lot behind the restaurant but it is pretty cramped and only has one entrance/exit so it can get tricky. I recommend parking on the street or in another parking lot nearby.

Laura S
    4 Oct 15, 2012

My friend wanted us to come here. So I figured alright. I wanted my usual Mediterranean Cafe on Lake, but this is fine.

I got a chicken kabob ($12) meal and it was HUGE. It takes 15 min longer to make, so I was the last to get it.

You get hummus, salad, and pita with each meal. ASK FOR EXTRA GARLIC. The garlic and the food is delicious and I saved half of my meal for dinner. Big portions.

FOOD:
    Good food. The taste wasn't oily (I thought it'd be oily) and the flavors were good.

SERVICE:
    Attentive and they give you extra pita and garlic if asked.

Downside:
    My friend asked for some pita and the lady grabbed the pita using a receipt!!! EWWW! Lady... use gloves or ask the guys who had gloves to grab it. -_- Come on now.

OVERALL: If you don't ask for stuff, the food is good. GOOD CHICKEN!

• Zankou ChickenPro 2014
    John Abdou

This is another classic Los Angeles eatery! If you've never been, then you gotta try it. Great middle eastern food at an affordable price. Make sure to get extra Garlic sauce.. it's the best.

359 people visited Zankou Chicken

Cheap$

Monday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Tuesday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Wednesday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Thursday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Friday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Saturday 10:00am - 10:00pm, Sunday 10:00am - 10:00pm