Zen 6

328 E 6th St, New York, NY, United States

• Zen 6Pro 2014

I'm a creature of habit and loathe to try anything new in my immediate vicinity, but my friend Charle M. turned me on to this spot and I thank her for it! The venue itself is clean and minimal, not as divey as your typical ramen spot, so I can see taking a date here. That is, if you're the type of person that doesn't mind having your nose run while you slurp up noodles in front of a perfect stranger, but hey that's the kind of guy I am.

I ordered the pork buns and the Tan Tan 6, which is Zen 6's signature Ramen Bowl. I actually took my order to-go so I can demolish the dish in the privacy of my own home. They kept the noodles and broth in separate bowls for me to combine at home, which kept the noodles firm and prevents sogginess, a sign of a good ramen restaurant.

The pork buns were very good, but I prefer the unctuous pork belly at some of the top spots in the neighborhood. The pork buns were more of the pull pork variety. I'll still order them going forward. The Tan Tan 6, was out of this world. Great flavor, a perfectly cooked egg and those roasted garlic slices just exploded with flavor in your mouth. My mouth is watering just typing this.

If you're in the East Village and you're looking for some flavorful ramen, definitely try Zen 6.

Recommended for:BackpackersBudget TravelersFoodiesStudents