Zuni Cafe

1658 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94102

• Zuni CafePro 2014
    Kat Von B (Travelinggreek)
    3 Oct 24, 2013

I must be missing something. I have been here twice and felt exactly the same way. I tried the World Famous Burger and while it was tasty, it really wasn't the Best burger I have ever had. Add the fact that there is almost always a wait and that the service was lackluster both times and I think I am done with this place.

Recommended for:Business TravelersFoodiesTrendsters
    Giada De Laurentiis
    5 Aug 05, 2013

I dream about there chicken for 2 roasted in the brick oven. The warm bread salad with red mustard greens, scallions, currants, and pine nuts is out of this world... it takes a while to prepare, but it is well worth the wait. This is like no other roasted chicken I've had. I try and go there everytime I am in San Francisco. I love the upstairs, all the little rooms - it is private, yet spacious enough that you don't feel cramped.

Traci
    4 May 23, 2013

If you come here, you must get the famous roast chicken -- order it as soon as you sit down because they are cooked to order, so it takes around an hour to get your chicken. We also had the endive salad, which was simple and yummy. The roast chicken did not disappoint: super flavorful and not dry at all. I obviously haven't tried the other dishes, so can't compare, but the chicken was delicious!

Trisha Okubo
    4 May 22, 2013

Pro tip - get the gateaux victoire. It's an incredibly fluffy and light flourless chocolate cake. I don't know how they manage to make it so airy and yet so decadent. Don't miss this.

Jetsetlife.tv
    5 Apr 22, 2013

Super fresh, daily changing menu, farm to table - MUST have a reservation. From flat bread pizza and salads to the absolute best burger of your life!

Jin Kim
    5 Dec 29, 2012

Great burgers and wood fired roast chicken. The raw bar always has fresh oysters. Zuni is an icon in SF.

Courtney Regan
    4 Dec 23, 2012

This is another delicious staple in San Francisco's restaurant culture. Traditionally, this is a great place to go for dinner before a show at the theatre. I went here for dinner with my coworkers one evening and we tried to sample as many things as we could from the menu. Just as we were told, the chicken was by far the best and some of the best the city has to offer. It can definitely be pricey, so make sure you go for a special occasion.

Koji Kawano
    4 Oct 11, 2012

Great spot to have early evening cocktails and oysters. Prices are high here, so I don't go there often. But this fashionable restaurant is conveniently located near opera or symphony halls, as well as other theaters. Their hamburger is quite good and more affordable.

May W
    3 Sep 17, 2012

I liked Zuni's Steamboat oysters more than their famous 1-hour chicken. Seriously, that $2.50 oyster was the highlight of my meal. It reminded me of the delicious, golden, fatty nuggets you find inside crabs.

For one reason or another, I was not that impressed with the flavor of the chicken meat. Yes, the meat was moist, juicy, and had some flavor, but the thicker parts of the chicken didn't taste like much. The wings and the drumsticks had flavor, but the breasts were lacking.

The waitstaff was fast and professional. That is really all you can ask for, right? I'd go back with people who really want to try the food here, but I'll probably spend my money on more oysters while they wait for their chicken.

Connie Pistilli

I had a lovely ladies' brunch here. It was a particularly warm day in the city, so it was a little stuffy in the loft where we were seated. We had a nice view of the restaurant below and the live piano was actually really pleasant. I was surprised that it didn't feel like we were at a cheesy piano bar or in a Nordstrom at all.

I ordered the fried eggs with hanger steak, which was good, but my dish was doused in extra olive oil. Instead of getting grossed out by it, I dabbed bread in it, along with the runny eggs. It was pretty good! We all shared a caesar salad, which was very good.

I'd like to go back and try their famous roasted chicken for two and see if it's worth the hour wait!

Luke Hornof

This place is super trendy and popular... for good reason. It's actually that good. Everything I've tried here has been delicious. The chicken is one of their specialties, and I agree that it's really amazing. Check out their cook book as well if you want to try and duplicate some of these recipes.

Recommended for:Trendsters
    sabw

stopped here for dinner with a girlfriend - very tasty fresh food, nice ambiance - looked like the place to take a date. off of market and you can find street parking around. between the castro and the tenderloin. small but excellent menu. halibut, tomatoe and beet salad, huckleberry ice cream and shoe string potatoes. all very good.

Scott Daly

This is one of my favorite places to eat in San Francisco and you just can never go wrong here in my opinion. I love that the menu changes daily so there is always something new for me to try but there is just something about that comforting roast chicken that takes me back to being a kid all over again. You may think it's just another chicken dish but once you try this you will be astounded by it's flavor. I do love a good burger every once in a while as well and Zuni Cafe never fails me when it comes to a perfectly cooked piece of juicy meat on a fresh bun. It's worth every penny for sure.

Veronica Sartori

I consider Zuni to be a San Francisco classic. They offer up excellent shellfish along with a ridiculous roast chicken. Reservations are easy to come by here. I typically take friends who are visiting San Francisco for the first time. It really has the Californian feel down to it.

If you're into beer, make sure to order the dupont saison - it's hard to come by but really an excellent beer.

Eric Brink

Gayle and I stopped here for lunch and even found a parking spot on the street within a block. e were nicely greeted up front and found a nice table in the bar area. Our waiter was just the right amount of friendly and very professional in his service from start to finish. And except for one other customer's repeated and annoying laugh (of which the whole cafe couldn't help but take notice), the noise level and ambiance was very pleasant and conducive to a good conversation. I also enjoyed the copper accents at the bag, the wedge shape of the room, and watching some warm personal interactions at the bar between on of the bartenders and a couple that had dropped in for a drink.

As for the food, please be warned that when you order a burger medium rare here, that's what you get. And since I'm not that much of a "red" meat guy, the whole blue cheese burger experience was a little uncomfortable. However, the rest of the burger presentation and taste was great, as were the string fries and Gayle's spinach soup.

Lorrie M

Wow! They have an AMAZING selection of oysters! This place is hands down the best oyster bar I have ever been to and this is saying a lot from the west coast to the east coast.

Their daily oyster selection is absolutely enormous, but do get there early as they sell out fast on their various selections. I've found that west coast and east coast oysters all tend to taste the same in saltiness but this place has exotic oysters you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else.

The atmosphere is great and you can typically find a wonderful selection of drinks as well as a good selection of sandwiches and food. I am totally coming back!

Todd C
    4 May 29, 2014

American (New), Beer, Wine & Spirits, Salad

morgan nguyen
    5 Jan 29, 2014

Amazing $48 chicken! I suggest calling in your order since it takes an hour to roast!

Recommended for:FoodiesNightlife LoversTrendsters
    Fran
    5 Jan 18, 2014

Get a reservation early or perch at the bar. Take a friend so you can split the chicken!

Joe V
    5 Sep 16, 2013

If you don't get their amazing burger, share the Roasted Chicken with a friend. Yum.

1,768 people visited Zuni Cafe