Going to San Diego
Who's on this trip?
Trip Plan Details
- Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites2303 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106recommended Humphreys Half Moon Inn & SuitesAs a San Diego native, I've been to concerts at Humphrey's music venue, but I had never been to the hotel side before. Entirely secluded from the outside world on Shelter Island, the resort feels like ... read morea slice of Hawaiian paradise. Palm trees wave in the fresh breeze off the marina, quiet walkways snake their way around little waterfalls and ponds filled with giant fish, and in the center of the resort, like a centerpiece, is the giant swimming pool lined by beach recliners and oversized umbrellas. It's a bit of a walk to the restaurant, which is unattached to the rest of the hotel, but the sumptuous Mediterranean and Pacific-inspired menu, the bar's nightly live music (free cover for hotel guests), and the views over the sparkling marina are to die for. Just keep in mind that if you won't be attending that night's main event at the outdoor venue (big names play here!), expect some noise until about 11pm. With a suite the size of my apartment, though, you can easily while away the evening inside: watch a movie on the flatscreen TV, or soak in a bubble bath with their complimentary Terra Green toiletries. They smell like sweet spring rainwater.Becky Mahan
Less pricey than the Hotel Del, but not lacking in beachy San Diego paradise charm. I love Humphrey's.
- Hotel del Coronado1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118recommended Hotel del CoronadoHistoric, haunting, and famous, this Victorian-style landmark is the #1 tourist destination in Coronado – and one of the most famous hotels in the entire country. If you can afford it, your stay will ... read morebe memorable. The rooms are elegantly old-fashioned and classic, the lobby is old, dark, and luxurious, and the restaurants feature 5-star dining and top chefs. If you can't afford to stay, you can still walk the grounds, do some shopping in the basement mall, or sip a cocktail on their beach deck. Weddings take place in their courtyard and gazebo, which are beautiful to behold. The surrounding area is pristine beach, palm trees, and a boardwalk filled with strolling lovers, kids, and bicycles enjoying the coastal scene. Read up on the ghost stories surrounding this 120-year-old Southern California majesty, watch a Pacific sunset splash the red-shingled roof golden, and partake in a bit of grandeur at the Hotel Del Coronado.Becky Mahan
Not sure what your budget is, but this is as beachy as you can get!
- Pacific View Motel610 Emerald St., San Diego, CArecommended Pacific View MotelThis basic motel has a few things going for it: location, it's got kitchenettes, and it's not expensive. Our family got 3 rooms here, one with a kitchenette, and we had a great reunion. We had ... read morebreakfast and made picnic lunches in the motel and had dinner out. We didn't spend much time in the motel, but appreciated the location near the beach and restaurants. It's also a short drive to downtown San Diego, or La Jolla.Barbara Kossy
I hope it's still in business. Not lux in any way, but great location.
- Pacific BeachPacific Beach, San Diego, CA, USArecommended Pacific BeachI'm an ocean-loving person, so when we had a family reunion a few years ago I picked Pacific Beach as the location. We all got rooms in the same motel, with kitchenettes, and had a great time ... read morestrolling the beach, swimming, playing Frisbee, walking to restaurants and driving to other parts of San Diego. We even did a day trip to Tijuana.
commented on this trip
Do you have any particular budget in mind? All the beach hotels I know of are quite pricey. As Emon recommended, Hotel Del is gorgeous with basically your own beach. The area around La Jolla Shores/La Jolla Cove has a few places as well, but also pricey. The Mission Bay area also has some nice hotels/resorts. Do you want to be able to walk out the door to the beach?
- Best Western Island Palms Hotel & Marina2051 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106recommended Best Western Island Palms Hotel & MarinaDon't let the chain gang name fool you! This mid-century modern hotel on the waterfront is tiki fabulous. Ask for a top-floor room in the Casa Marina building facing the boat docks, which will get you ... read morea private balcony with views. Only about 20 minutes from downtown San Diego, but soooo relaxing. Affordable, too!Recommended for:Family TravelersSara Benson
In case you don't find a beach hotel in your price range, and you're looking to save money, this Best Western waterfront hotel is an excellent bargain and one of my faves in San Diego. Consider it a back-up plan!