Pitfire Artisan Pizza

353 E 17th Street

• Pitfire Artisan PizzaPro 2014
    Grace C.
    4 Oct 10, 2013

I got a chance to eat at Pitfire because my friend decided to have a pizza party there for her birthday. Since we were going to have about 20 people, she called them in advance and we were able to get the special space in the back. She also preordered our dinner and at $15/person not including adult beverages, it wasn't too bad.

The mac and cheese (well actually it's orecchietti and cheese really if you want to split hairs) was quite awesome. I think I can eat a whole bowl of that by itself. The spinach linguini and bolognese was also quite yummy. Just needed some bread to sop up the remaining sauce. There was also a chopped salad - one with chicken one without. The dressing and the salad mix was good.

Then there were 10 pizzas coming out for all of us. The pizza is easily a little bit bigger than a personal size. maybe about 10-12"? anyways, there were quite a few options that came out. Originally they came out in 4 slices which wasn't good for a big group like this, but the later pies came out in 8 slices which were better to share.

The burrata one was so good. The margherita was also yummy. We also had some that were filled with sausage and ham.

Since it was a birthday celebration - they actually did bring out a cookie with ice cream sundae on top. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was still a cookie with fudge, caramel sauce and ice cream. Where can this go wrong.

Parking is kind of a pain. The lot is rather small, and they do offer valet after a certain point in the night. I was able to park myself but I barely found a space, so keep that in mind if you are planning on meeting up with friends.

The place was packed so I can see how the wait time might be long. If you got a large group, definitely see if you can go down this route. It was totally worth it.

• Pitfire Artisan PizzaPro 2014
    Trina D.
    5 Aug 26, 2013

I organized a pizza party for my birthday at Pitfire. I had the wherewithal to call in advance to see if I could reserve a table for 20 people and sure enough, they had room for us. Katie Snowden was a breeze to deal with. I had the option of letting everyone order or doing a pre-order so I opted for the preorder since most people had never been to Pitfire before. She sent me a sample menu via email and we made changes as we went. I had a menu that included non-alcoholic drinks, 10 pizzas, 3 family sized pastas, and 2 salads.

They set us up in a private area in the back of the restaurant by the entrance of Pie Society. Everything was served family-style and we passed the dishes around. We started off with the salads, one was completely vegetarian and one had chicken. Both were delicious. I'm really glad they gave us the option because I had a few guests who were vegetarians. The pastas we had were mac & cheese and spinach linguine with bolognese sauce. We loved the mac & cheese so we had two orders of that. The pasta was perfectly al dente with just the right amount of bite. The sauce was cheesy and there was a smattering of bread crumbs on top. It could have used more crumb but we were hungry. The linguine was also very good and it disappeared quickly.

For the pizzas, we had a variety: green egg & ham, sausage party, pepperoni, burrata, margherita, and garlic chicken. All were really great pizzas but my favorites were the green egg & ham and the burrata. The green egg and ham had spinach, ham and a lovely oozy egg which we fought over to dip our crust in. The burrata pizza had caramelized onions, toasted hazelnuts, and arrugula. It was really tasty. Again I was happy to have so many different pizzas for my guests to try.

Our server, Jordan, was great. He brought out drinks and the food. He was a champ dealing with our massive group. They even brought out a cookie sundae with a candle on it for me. My friends sang "Happy Birthday" and I was thrilled that they were having a great time. Thanks to everyone who attended and thanks to Pitfire for filling our tummies with delicious food.

Recommended for:FoodiesLocal CultureStudentsVegetarian